I have been so busy (well, my heated rivalry addition is also to blame), that I have not been posting. But I am one month away from leaving. Not only haven't I been posting, I haven't been doing any planning either (damn you, Shane and Ilya, why are you so engaging!). I think I am good...? It's so busy at work, I can't use paid time to check. I need to use my lunch breaks more efficiently.
Anyway, my one time-management victory is that I managed to clear off my spare bed so I can start pre-packing. Once my mom visits and the bed is free.
I guess the long and the short of this post is that I have now paid for my Intrepid tour of Iceland.
Bloody hell. I am way too busy.
It's been two weeks since I wrote that tiny bit above. Now I am leaving in TWO WEEKS. I have not mentally prepared, or packed, or...
My mom was down for the weekend, using the spare bed/packing station. So, I have not started packing but I did start thinking about it. That's progress? Right?
Mom asked me about currency which made me realize I have not ordered any of the three currencies I am going to need (Euros for the Baltics and Finland, Polish Złoty and Icelandic Króna). Will order today. Who knows when I can pick up.
Along the packing/thinking situation, I will need cold weather clothes for Iceland but I want to manage with one bag. Puffy coats take up a lot of space. My travel savvy friend Rob suggested I buy a cheap coat in Finland. I have started researching Helsinki thrift shops!!
There is a grocery store on that route too cause I am going to need to bring food. I can't afford to eat three restaurant meals a day in Iceland. If I bring enough snacky food, I am hoping to get away with one purchased/restaurant meal a day. Let's see how that goes :)
Next day.
Oh my bloody lord!! Since I am thinking about my trip, I popped into Air Canada to see what kind of itinerary changes they have made, because you just know they made some. I get a big red message that my flight from Reykjavik is cancelled? And then I see they have changed my departure to a different airport. After having a heart attack, I learned that Reykjavik has two airports. I am now flying out of Keflavik airport. It is further out of town but still reachable by some sort of local transportation (million dollar cab ride probably). Rome2Rio lets me know that a cab is $200-$250. But there is a shuttle or a bus so that's good. Will explore further when I'm there.
I haven't checked Finnair yet but I think I am still flying into Reykjavik Airport... Nope, they sneaked in the Keflavik as Reykjavik Keflavik. I guess I will have to research that bus situation sooner than my Iceland arrival.
Well, at least that distracted me from the other change where I now have an eight hour layover in Toronto on my way back.
I've order my currency to pick up this week.
Remember way back when, when this was all a twinkle in our eyes. And I think I joked about hoping that Russia won't invade any of the Baltic countries before I am in and out of the region.
Well, they didn't quite invade so much as pushed everyone's comfort zones.
I think this is done for now. I'm sure I can squeeze another pre-trip post out of packing and last minute 'hmm, I probably should have checked that' moments.
I hope you have good weather and there are no exploding volcanoes to spoil the cosmic views!
ReplyDeleteYou comments on costs remind me of why I have generally avoided Northern Europe and Switzerland. Decades ago I passed thru Copenhagen as one did in those days. I found a (barely) affordable hostel about 20 KM out of the city. But as I recall the short train journey cost me more than the expensive night at the hstel.
I have recently seen some cheap affordable Westjet flights to Paris. I am tempted but the cheapest grotty hotel rooms are still $100 per night. (Still cheaper than Vancouver hotels in the summer!)