Saturday, July 18, 2026

One week, one day, one hour to go...

July 13:  I leave in 6 days.  SIX days.  I am barely further along than I was in my last post.  

My amazing friend Lea came over a while ago to help me organize my storage closet. This included my travel bin. Which previously was just a jumble of 'travel related stuff' and maybe things that had been in my backpack at some point and never got properly put away (I know, me! shocker!).  

Once my mom vacated the packing station (guest bed), I opened the travel bin and basically dumped it on the bed.  So much for Lea's beautiful system of 'like with like'.  Joanne's less beautiful system is 'heap upon heap'.  I have not sorted those heaps into take/don't take yet.  

I hemmed some pants I may or may not take.  

Yup, that's it.  That's my progress.  To be continued.  

July 14:  still unpacked, still at the 'thinking about it' phase.  So, I looked up Iceland Weather in August

In August, Iceland experiences mild but highly unpredictable summer weather with average daily temperatures ranging from 10°C to 15°C (50°F to 59°F). It is very common to experience sunshine, wind, and rain all within a single day. 

 So, still have to consider warm clothes, at least a sweater to put under my thrift store coat from Finland.  And a waterproof shell? 

July 16

I went to the mall for a pedicure and bought some clothes for the trip. 'Don't go to the mall if you don't want to buy clothes for your trip' someone, anyone should have said.  And Lovely Lea loaned me a couple of tank tops and a dress.  I have been going to the gym and have tightened up a wee bit so my old travel standards aren't going to work this time around. 

I got a notification this morning the my first Booking.com payment is going through.  I hope these rando rooms I have booked aren't all terrible.  I know some of them might be.  It comes with the frugality (cheap-assed-ness) 

Apparently asking people to drive you to the airport at 6am on an August Sunday four days before the date is not proper planning.  My two go-tos are busy.  What!?  Anyway, Megan foolishly let me know she would be available so she got the tap.  We all like Megan for a reason!!  

As you all know, June was the hottest month in Europe since, probably ever?  I think it is less so now but still not great.  Hopefully it will keep heading back to normal.  Plan for some whining in future posts if not.  


July 17

This is where we are at.  I am literally throwing clothes at the bed from the hallway.  

But dinner plans tonight so... tomorrow.  


July 18: I leave tomorrow!! I am not packed. 

9am

Trying on all of my clothes to see what goes with what. I am going to try to look semi-put-together for once.  

3pm

Let's all put our heads together and try to imagine where I might have put my Iceland Bird Book that I bought in January... 

Still not packed. 

8pm

I found my bird book.  On a bookshelf.  No wonder I couldn't find it!

Also... Packed!  That bag is too heavy but so be it.  


Ok, my lovelies.  I am posting this and I probably won't be back until I'm in Poland.  Take care, talk soon.  JC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Helsinki, Finland

For some reason, I booked a crazy early ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki.  It was probably the cheapest, knowing myself.  But I got there earl...