| The first photo I took in Krakow |
My flight was uneventful. Long layovers in Vancouver and Frankfurt but that was my own doing, at least the Frankfurt one. Last time, I missed my connection there so this time, 5 hours. I had to find a new SD card (I managed to bring a 56 mg card!). I am once again reminded how old I am carrying around my actual camera by how difficult it was to find an actual SD card. But I was successful so I can take more than 6 pictures on this trip. Mostly I filled my time reading two books.
Krakow airport has great wifi so I managed to download an E-Sim while I was in various border control line-ups. And managed to get it working which is a minor miracle. A necessary miracle because I needed to figure out how to get to my hotel.
There's a train! There is always a train in Europe but I still am surprised considering we barely just got a bus to the airport (I'm not even sure if there is a bus yet, thanks to lovely Megan taking me to the airport!)
Anyway, Krakow! This is a beautiful city. I am in the Jewish area and it is a short walk to Old Town. I have not been to Old Town yet however.
| My room. Kitchenette not viewable but functional. |
My first day was a bit of a write off to be honest. I woke up at 5 am and decided that was a bit too early and then work up again at 10 am. Then there was some administrative work to be done. I needed to book a train to Warsaw. But I also wanted to visit Schindler's Factory at some point. It seems you can't just decide to visit Schindler's factory on a whim. Booked solid for a week. So, I booked a tour on my last day here. That gave me a timeline for the train. Warsaw is big so I had to cross reference where I'm staying there in relation to train stations. (I can hear Rob saying 'AI would have done that for you').
Plus I needed to go to the grocery store and drink some coffee, you know, stuff. So, I didn't get going until after 1 pm. I had a 3 pm free walking tour booked. Krakow Jewish Quarter and Ghetto tour.
None of this is news, but this town has some terrible history during the second world war. It was Nazi headquarters. Which, was good for me, future tourist, in that they did not destroy the town like they did elsewhere. So there are lots of old buildings including several synagogues still standing. The Nazis repurposed them into storage and stables and whatnot. There is even still a Jewish cemetery that survived because they turned it into a garbage pit, which was later excavated and restored.
70 000 Jews in the town pre-war. 65 000 killed. The other 5000 left after the war. You can't blame them, walking through this history is awful, I can't imagine surviving it and then deciding to come back to it when it was finally safe to do so (long after the war). Our guide said there are only 100 Jews here now. And they manage to maintain four working synagogues.
This is a commemorative stone marking the oldest cemetery. The headstones are long gone but the remains are not. Near the old synagogue |
| I learned how to tell if a building is historically Jewish If the windows are rounded. It is supposed to represent Moses' commandment tablets. |
| Plaques commemorating victims of the holocaust |
| Hero's Square in the Jewish Ghetto. This was the 'sorting centre' where Jews were sorted into those who could work and those that would die immediately. There are now 65 chairs to represent the 65 000 who died. |
| This guy whose name I missed. He was a Polish spy who snuck back into the country to see the atrocities. He then reported what he had seen and heard to FDR who simply could not believe that what he was hearing could possibly be true. So, he did not act on the information. |
| Houses in the Jewish Ghetto. There would be upwards of 100 or more people in each house. |
| Street in the Jewish Ghetto. The historical ghosts are a bit overwhelming when you see these old buildings and imagine what happened here. |
| This looks super creepy now that I am looking at this picture but it is statues of acrobats suspended between the walking and cycle parts of a bridge |
| Krolewska. This is the small one. It was huge. |
| I see a horn instrument, I have to take a picture for Joe |
No comments:
Post a Comment